As you may have noticed I recently turned 27. I have done a lot of fun and adventurous things in life so far (bungee jumping, running marathons, dancing at Alvin Ailey, fund raising for a good cause – the list goes on), but there are still so many things that I’d like to do. As I move into this year, I’ve decided that I’m going to make a list of 27 goals that I’d like to accomplish.
Here it goes (in no particular order):
- Get debt free – You might say, how is this possible, you are gaining over $100K in student loans. Well what I mean is any outstanding credit card debt. I want to wipe the slate clean and only deal with student loans in year 28.
- Run the Barcelona Marathonat sub 4 hours – It was my goal earlier in the year to run the NYC Marathon. But due to grad school, I won’t be in the country and it would be too expensive to come back for it. So to feed my need to run I’ve choose the Barcelona Marathon and I’m going to try to PR and go sub 4 hours.
- Be in the Top 10% of ESADE MBA Students – I of course an an overachiever and want to make sure that I continue to be one. The top 10% would ensure that I get the job that I want after graduation. No better goal for the next year could be established.
- Be the President of a Club – The overachiever tendencies go pretty far, so this one is to rein myself back. Of course I’d want to hold an office in EVERY club I’m a part of, but one where I am truly committed is more realistic and manageable.
- Learn French – With France right next door, I think this is finally my year to learn French. I have wanted to take classes for such a long time, but now I will have some where to practice. Paris here I come!
- Become fluent in Spanish – A lot of my list is related, but of course this is one of the main goals of my education in Barcelona. I have taken Spanish since I was 3 years old and never been able to become fully fluent. This is my year!
- Try a new food a month – I’m super picky when it comes to food, but I have found over the years that not trying something has kept me away from some amazingly delicious meals! I love food and it’s time to branch out.
- Travel to San Sebastian – I’ve heard the best found in Spain is found here. I will not miss that opportunity.
- Dance – I was a ballet dance for most of my life and I’ve given it up pretty much. But I’d love to dance again. Maybe join a group. I need to get my flexibility back first. But I think I can do it.
- Get my flexibility back – See above.
- Get my 6-pack back – Lots of sit-ups in my future.
- Start my own side business – I’m not sure what it’s going to be, but I’ll be doing some brainstorming, for sure.
- Write my family history – I have a crazy family history that I can track back to my great-grandmother and I’ve always wanted to write it down. This year I will write it. Maybe one day it would even be worth of publishing.
- Raise money for Room to Read – I read a book by the founder of Room to Read and it touched me. This is the next organization that I’d like to support.
- Keep up this blog consistently –
- Swim at least once a month – There are some great pools in Barca. I’m going to do some investigation and join one.
- Get my driver’s license – I know, I know I should have this at 27. But I live in New York City. There has been no reason to get it. But this summer, I’m going to do it and never have to worry about it again.
- Live by myself – In 27 year, I have not lived by myself. This will be a first. I’m excited for it.
- Eat More Veggies
- Master the 10K – I recently beat my personal best in the half marathon. My next challenge is the 10K. I actually find it more daunting, but I’m ready to do it.
- Join a running club – While there is going to be a club at my school, I want coaches and motivation from other Barca residents. Hopefully it will also help with goal number 6.
- Make 5 friends outside of ESADE – This is an interesting challenge in a new city. I think I can do it after a few months of working on my Spanish.
- Cook a new dish a month – I love cooking, but I get bogged down with my daily routine and get boring with what I make. I still have pizza dough in my fridge. For June, I’m going to investigate what I can make with it before I move out of my apartment. I wouldn’t want it to go to waste!
- Live minimally – I don’t mean being a minimalist, but I mean not spending money on nonsense that crowds my apartment. This will help me keep my budget in tact.
- Learn to network better– This is essential to getting a job post graduation.
- Keep in touch with friends in the USA – This is going to be hardest with the time difference, but I want to make sure that I’m staying in touch through email. skype, facetime, WhatsApp, and any other way possible.
Phew! That was quite the list. I’m going to print it and put it on my wall so I never forget. What are your goals for the next year?